2. Tracing Lost Megalithic Cultures From 9500 BC To The Present
3. Was The Egyptian Pyramid Complex Built Up Over Time? From About 10,500 BC To About 2,500 BC?
4. The Ancient Shamanic Link To Yoga, Meditation & The Other Major Religions
5. A Look At The Fall Of Civilizations (With An Emphasis On The Fall Of 1200 BC & Lost Knowledge Through Library Burnings)
We like to assume our culture is the epitome of modern development after thousands of years of constant development (always moving forward like the mythology of people in the Industrial Age). We actually got here after several advancements followed by falls to dark ages when we would lose all knowledge of our previous civilizations. This post intends to illustrate how creative man is and how many inventions have been lost to history or are simply a part of modern living nowadays. Given the right circumstances any culture can develop new technologies and change the world, again.
Almost two millennia before the rest of humanity entered the industrial age, the Greek inventor Hero invented the steam engine, wind-powered machinery, and theories of light that couldn't be improved for centuries. And then he invented some really crazy stuff. Scientific geniuses have to pull off a tricky balancing act before they're even born. Great minds like Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton were born at precisely the right time for their ideas to be really revolutionary - just far enough ahead of their time to be trailblazers, but not so far ahead that people had no idea what they were talking about.
The ancient world had machines...
Machines Of Ancient China
There seems to have been a major loss of knowledge after the Roman empire fell (the Christian Age was a Dark Age for knowledge, invention and technology in general and they probably burnt everything they didn't consider holy as is common in the desert religions of the middle east)...
Amazing Ancient Inventions We Still Can't Figure Out - History Documentary
6 Advanced Ancient Inventions We Still Can't Figure Out
We’ve lost the secret to making some of history’s most useful inventions, and for all of our ingenuity and discoveries, our ancestors of thousands of years ago are still able to baffle us with their ingenuity and discoveries. We have developed the modern equivalent of some of these inventions, but only very recently.
Then there is a category of knowledge where we have evidence of inventions, given the remains we have found, but it leaves us with a bigger mystery as we have no culture in recorded history to trace it to;
The Ancient Antarctica Maps
Piri Re'is Map of 1513
There is a map, dating from 1513, which was made by a man named Piri Ibn Haji Memmed, otherwise known as Piri Re'is. This man was an Admiral in the Turkish navy. Today we only have a fragment of the original map. Piri Re'is made a number of very interesting claims about this map: He claimed it was made from approximately 20 original source maps He claimed the western portion of the map was obtained from Christopher Columbus He claimed some of the source maps were dated from the time of Alexander the Great He claimed some of the maps were based upon mathematics These are pretty amazing claims.
Charles Hapgood performed a detailed analysis of this map. He worked with students from Keene State College, as well as with cartographers from the US Air Force.
- The map appears is composed of at least six separate source maps.
- The map provided remarkably accurate latitude and longitude locations of coastal features of Africa, North and South America, and a portion of Antarctica. (This point is contested by many people and is addressed later in the section on Antarctica).
- The source maps themselves utilize the principles of plane geometry and an ability to account for the curvature of the earths surface.
- The knowledge of longitude suggests either a people, or a mechanism, that are currently unknown to us. (This is because the ability to determine longitude with any degree of accuracy is not known before AD 1700 (?) ).
- The map is based on an equidistant projection with its center on the meridian of Alexandria in Egypt.
Officially Antarctica was discovered in the early 1800's. Its existence is said to have been theorized by the ancient Greeks who realizing the amount of land in the northern hemisphere assumed that this mass must be balanced by a proportionate mass in the southern hemisphere.
Also, the continent of Antarctica, according to modern science, has been covered with ice for millions (sic) of years. This would make it impossible for anyone, especially the ancients to actually map its coastline.
Unfortunately for some there are maps, dating from at least the early 1500's that not only indicate the existence of Antarctica, but also map its coastline in amazing detail.
One such map is the Oronteus Finaeus World Map of 1531. The section of this map indicting Antarctica is shown below (click image to enlarge).
Visit webpage to see samples of maps
The problems posed by these maps of Antarctica are not trivial.
- First of all it demonstrates that sometime in the history of the earth, before at least the 1500's a sea faring people existed that could circumnavigate the globe and accurately survey its features.
- Second it raises the question of, if the ice cap has been in place for millions years how was this accomplished?
- Did the maps originate prior to this time?
- Was it mapped while the ice caps were in place?
- Is the ice cap development actually a much more recent event than we think?